Sunday, May 20, 2018

First Application to First Day

I looked down on the tiny buildings and cars that made up San Jose, Costa Rica for the first time yesterday. As the miniature figures started to grow larger as my plane descended, I felt my anticipation grow as well. So many questions ran through my head like, "would my Spanish be good enough?", "what will my host family be like?", "what if I get lost?", and countless others.

A few months ago, when I had first applied to the program, Costa Rica seemed like a distant possibility rather than a fixed future. It didn't hit me that I would be spending my summer in another country until a few weeks ago during orientation. Meeting all the other people I would spend 6 weeks with in Costa Rica made me excited... and very, very nervous.

I decided to apply to study abroad to try and improve my Spanish and also to immerse myself in another culture. Costa Rica seemed like the perfect fit for me; the program was over the summer, allowed me to stay with a host family, and is such a gorgeous country! The main selling point for me was the opportunity to live with a native speaking family. I knew that the best way to improve my Spanish was to live with others who speak it so that I am forced to interact and practice the language.

However, at the same time this was what I was most nervous for in the program. I had no idea if my grasp of the Spanish language would be adequate for communicating with my host family! I knew from short encounters with native Spanish speakers that communicating in a classroom setting is very different from communicating in the real world.

The moment I got off the plane there was absolute chaos in the airport. Luckily, I was with two other girls from NAU and we were able to figure out how to get our bags and find our guide. My heart was pounding as we neared our host families; all I knew about mine was her name and the little she told me in her email (side note, make sure to email your host family! They really like to hear from you and get to know a little about you before you come). The moment I walked through the door, my host mom, or "mama tica" wrapped me in a huge hug and welcomed me like one of her own! She explained to me that she understands some English and that I shouldn't worry if I am having trouble speaking, because she will help me.

I already feel very at home with my new host family. Within these 6 weeks, I hope that I grow close to them and learn from them about their culture and lives!


No comments:

Post a Comment