Monday, June 18, 2018

The adventurous Manuel Antonio weekend


Describing the past weekend as an "adventure" is really an understatement. Also, it has perhaps too happy a connotation.

I'll start this tale from the beginning. As all our trips seem to begin, we started with a bus ride. The bus ride was actually not too bad; I enjoy the scenery as it flies by outside the window. I mean, how can you not enjoy the scenery when you're in Costa Rica? We arrived in Manuel Antonio at around midday and decided to hit the beach.

The beaches in Manuel Antonio are absolutely stunning. Crystal clear aquamarine ocean, cream colored sand, and cute little colorful umbrellas spotted all across the beach. So naturally this was the place where things decided to go wrong. If you don't know me, I am actually a very spacey person...I would probably forget my head if it weren't attached to my body. Knowing this, it will make sense that during our lovely time spent on the beach, I lost my phone!

However, I can't stress enough how small a problem this is in the grand scheme of things. At first I was naturally devastated; I was worried about paying for a new phone and trying to get around without one (sounds very millennial of me doesn't it?). Eventually, I realized that it could have been a lot worse. I still have my health, communication, a family, my life- so many things to be grateful for that this small loss doesn't matter too much.

Actually, losing my phone might have been a blessing in disguise. I was able to disconnect for a while and get to really try and figure things out without the aid of a handheld computer. I took a trip to Mall San Pedro to buy a cheap phone that I can use to make calls and text; I actually completed that trip successfully! It was wonderful to realize that even without something that I rely on heavily on a daily basis that I am still easily able to function and get around a foreign country.

Basically, the moral of this story is it's okay if some small things go wrong on your time abroad! It's not the end of the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment