Saturday, June 30, 2018

Weekend Adventures (part 2)

Hello again!


I started my last post with some information on what each of the weekend trips consisted of. The last two were honestly probably my favorite trips of the entire experience, so I can't wait to share my experiences with you!\


Weekend 4: Arenal and Monteverde

Wow! What an experience this weekend was.
We started off by traveling to Arenal (4 hours in a bus...not that fun) which is known mainly for its volcano! On this trip we took time to go to a hot spring resort, where there was a gorgeous view of the volcano, a ton of different pools to swim through, and even some waterslides! What I enjoyed most about this part was getting to go down the waterslides; I wasn't a huge fan of how industrialized the natural hot springs were. However, I know that a lot of the other students absolutely adored the hot springs (p.s. we ate a giant buffet for dinner). The following morning a few of the students decided to hike out to a swimming hole area and just spend the morning there, which I liked much more than the hot springs, simply because it was an example of what natural beauty can be found throughout Costa Rica. We also got to visit a beautiful waterfall in Arenal! All of Arenal was absolutely breathtaking, and I had some of my favorite experiences here.

The same day we traveled to Monteverde. First off, the cabins we stayed in in Monteverde were amazing!! A few of my friends were commenting on how they wouldn't mind honeymooning there just because the view and cute setup of the cabins was so perfect. The area we stayed in was tucked into a secluded part of Monteverde with no neighbors that we could see, which I know that I adored. The main attraction of Monteverde is that it is the ultimate adventure spot! Day two in Monteverde we got to go zip lining through a beautiful rainforest, which included high speeds and a Tarzan rope. I opted to also go bungee jumping, and I am so happy I did! I think I would have regretted it if I hadn't.

Basically, this weekend is the perfect choice for you if you love adventures and the outdoors, even though it isn't set at the beach.

Weekend 5: Bocas del Toro, Panama


Panama seemed to be the favorite trip for many of the students this summer, and for good reason! Bocas del Toro is a beautiful area of Panama, and almost every store and restaurant is right on the water or very near to it. It was really cool to be able to have dinner and then go for a swim by jumping off the dock right next to our table! 

Panama is a rather expensive trip, but it does include a lot of amenities. Lodging, snorkeling, beautiful remote islands that we take a boat to...all part of what we paid upfront. I think part of what made Panama so special to me was that it was our last weekend before everyone was going to go their separate ways for summer break. Being able to spend our last weekend together in such a beautiful area made it all worthwhile. 

Some of the other activities we did included going on a boat to see dolphins (they were adorable btw) and visiting a starfish beach, where every 10 feet or so you would spot a starfish. Being able to relax on beaches and soak up the sun was a well deserved reward for all of us after spending 6 weeks struggling to communicate in Spanish in a country very different from our own. 


It is sad to see our adventures together come to an end, but the great thing is that we will all always have these memories to look back on and remember fondly. Plus, it helps that we all go to the same school!

No comments:

Post a Comment