Wednesday, June 13, 2018

To Make a House a Home

If I've learned anything while in Costa Rica it is that a house isn't a home without the love of a family. I have been in houses before that feel empty and almost lonely, even with people living within them. Luckily, neither of my homes (Pinetop and Costa Rica) are just houses. I have felt the love of people both in Arizona and in Costa Rica.


Aside from the adventures that we have on the weekends, I spend the most time with my mama tica. She is a wealth of knowledge when it comes to Costa Rican mannerisms and culture, and almost every night she teaches me something new about her home. This week, mama tica taught me about a few "tican" words, including "jale (let's go!)", "macha (blonde)", and "cosi (cute or cool)". There are actually a lot of words here that are very specific to Costa Rica, but mean something completely different in other countries, including Mexico! It just goes to show how different language can be depending on the country.

One of the most beautiful things about being in a new country is being able to share cultures. Last night, I was able to make sushi for my family (I am part Japanese). Luckily, my mama tica adores Japanese culture, and I was able to share some of my experiences and culture with her, just as she has been sharing her own with me.

It is sad that my program only lasts for six weeks. I feel as if I can only skim the surface of the rich Costa Rican culture in my time here. Hopefully I will be able to return later (hopefully with better Spanish skills), and share more of my memories and indulge in the tican culture once more.

No comments:

Post a Comment